One of the most common appetizer items I saw around South Africa, was different versions of piri piri chicken livers. One of my favorites, had a bit of Asian/Indian influence. I used up some frozen chicken livers I had been saving after using the giblets and carcasses for stock. It’s simple, easy and delicious with some dipping crackers , pita or other flatbreads.
- 2- 3 chicken livers, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 tbsp finely minced garlic
- 1 tsp Doc’s African 5-Spice
- 1 tsp curry or masala
- 2 tsp of piri-piri (or more depending on your heat prefernce)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Heat the olive oil in a small pan over medium heat. Chop the chicken livers and set aside. Cook the onions until transluscent, about 5-8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the chopped chicken livers, 5-spice, curry or masala and piri piri. Cook another 3-5 minutes until the livers are done. Add the sour cream and remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper.